Re: Metal adhesives vs. welding

To: Bud Krueger <bkrueger@ici.net>
Subject: Re: Metal adhesives vs. welding
From: Brian Smith <btsmith@island.net>
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2000 09:50:02 -0700
Bud, our local British Car Club had a demo put on by one of the suppliers to
body
shops in our area. This demo was for a product that was used by body shops to
fasten metal together for new cars that welding would not be appropriate for.
While
there must be many cars running around with this stuff, we all agreed that we
would
still weld whenever possible. (fear of technology?) That being said, it
apparently
does work very well!
I have just completed a total rebuild of my body tub that involved replacing
some
of the metal in quarter panels by butt welding in new metal. While it was time
consuming it was not a huge job all things considered and it really does look
better and makes previously weak panels strong again.
I would really like to see long term testing of "glued" panels in all weather
conditions before trying it on something like our TD's especially in an area
with a
fair degree of moisture like we live in (or for that matter in areas that have
large variances in temperature)

Brian