Front Whel Hubs

To: mgt <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Front Whel Hubs
From: Rick & Carolyn <walters@mail.softcom.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 20:53:42 +0000
Hi all,

I'm still putting the front end together on our 52 TD.  At this rate it
will be 2050 before I get her back together.  I guess the bright side is
I won't have to worry about tires in 2050.  Won't all cars be levitated
off the ground by then.

My question is what is the torque specification on the axle nuts.  I
looked in the TD manual and it doesn't show one.  Currently I have them
tight enough to get the cotter pin in, fairly snug, but the wheel turns
fine.  Also one wheel doesn't have the washer/spacer between the nut and
bearing.  I ended up filing the tab off of a Bug-I Sprite washer.  It
was the right size at least.  This is the 5/8" one that is not available
any more.  Do you think this will be okay?  It fits real tight and was
close to the right thickness.

If I can get the rear axle painted tomorrow then I can start finally on
the engine.  This is what started this mess, it was smoking so bad we
couldn't sit in the cockpit and drive her without tears streaming down
our face.  But one thing led to another and next thing I knew the frame
was sitting there waiting for paint.

TIA

Cheers
Rick