RE: TD Windshield Wiper Motor

To: <BobMGT@aol.com>, <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TD Windshield Wiper Motor
From: "Lew Palmer" <lpalmer@mn.mediaone.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2000 22:26:24 -0700
Bob,

Depends on how warm. I rebuild wipers for folks and generally find that that
only get warm, not hot.

The resistance of the individual windings are 10 ohms each for each of the
two field coils, and about 20 ohms for each of the three armature windings.

Usually, if there is a problem, the first thing to check is the gearbox.
Often this is filled with old waxy grease that's well past its prime. Clean
out the old and replace with a light weight white lithium grease.

The second problem, (usually after the motor has run hot for a while) is
that the shunt windings on the armature will burn up. This can usually be
seen as strands of loose wire coming off the armature. If this is intact
(lucky you) clean gently and spray the windings with a coat of clear
lacquer. Do the field coils while you're at it, but be careful not to get
any on the armature shaft, the commutator, or on the switch contacts.

Also, check the brushes. These should be about a half inch long. If they are
any shorter than about 3/8", replace them.

If you need help, I can usually rescue most motors that haven't burned the
armature for about a modest sum. Just to rewind the armature costs about
$65, and best done by a motor rewinder. I believe Jerry Felper of British
Auto Electric, who frequests this list, can help there.

Regards,
Lew Palmer