Re: MG TD Voltage Regulator Cooking Battery?

To: <BobMGT@aol.com>, <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MG TD Voltage Regulator Cooking Battery?
From: "Lani Spahr" <lani_spahr@agilent.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 08:25:17 -0400
-----Original Message-----
From: BobMGT@aol.com <BobMGT@aol.com>

>. This sounds too high, but the shop manual indicates the correct
>setting is 15.8 to 16.4 volts at room temperature. The rule of thumb in EE
>circles is 14 volts for charging a car battery. Does anyone know why MG set
>the charging voltage so high?

For 1950's batteries this was correct. For modern battery technoligy, a
lower voltage is appropriate (I'll let others reply with the number).

>Does anyone else get +15 amp readings on the
>ammeter all the time?

I don't. That's way too high. Mine flutters in the +2,+3 amp range when it's
all charged up and I'm cruising. With the headlights on it's around 0. At
idle it drops to around -5 and with the headlights on and idling it's
around -10.

>(Yes, the battery is losing water faster than it
>should.)

I'll bet! :-)

Cheers,
Lani Spahr