Re: engine rebuilt for supercharger

To: seamud@juno.com
Subject: Re: engine rebuilt for supercharger
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 01:35:52 -0700
Mike:

I have a supercharger also, but haven't installed it as I don't
have all of the parts.

I was told to:

Use a ported head converted to the large valves.

Use the AEG 122 cam or the later style factory cam.  The AEG 122
cam has more overlap which works better on a blower.

Don't blow much over 6 pounds.

Make sure the pop off valve works.

Use a compression of no more than 8.2 to 1.

I would recommend:

Blue print the engine.

Shot peen crank and rods.

Use light weight three ring pistons.

Have engine balanced.  Do the crank, flywheel, and clutch
seperately.

Tuffride or Nitride the crank.

Hard chrome the rocker shaft.

Replace the rocker shaft springs with spacers.

Replace the valve spring retainers and oil shroud with a one
piece aluminum unit.  Use teflon umbrella seals on the guides.

Convert the head to use no lead gas.  Be real carefull about the
proper installation of the valve seats.

Have the valve push rods shortened or new ones made if the head
is milled.  Don't use packing under the rocker stands.

Use TF 1500 rods if you can find them.  (I couldn't for what I
could afford.)

Use TF 1500 exhaust manifold.  The MKII and TF 1250's might also
have this larger manifold.

REbuild the transmission using the best first gear, first gear
hub, and counter gear you can find.  New would be best.

Replace the pressure plate with an early MGA unit which has
heavier springs.

Lower the rear axel ratio to at least 4.8 with 4.5 or even 4.3
prefered.

Completely overhaul the brake system.

Add a second fuel pump ala MKII or switch to an MGA rear mounted
unit.

What did I forget?