Re: More Oil Pan Canister

To: <BobMGT@aol.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: More Oil Pan Canister
From: "david.tinker" <david.tinker@virgin.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2000 20:53:24 +0100
Hi Bob,
As I am in the middle of a TF restoration, and following your posting
yesterday  I took the opportunity of looking into my sump today. You must
get the canister apart to clean it effectively, as the gauze filter is quite
fine and was blocked over about 30% of its area by a hard deposit, of the
sort you get when oil burns very hot. I had to wire brush the canister
inside and out and finally blow it clean with compressed air, not forgetting
the suction tube which attaches to the side of the sump.

To get it apart should be quite straight forward, But later modifications
make life difficult. On mine there is a 1/4" bolt secured by a tabwasher
underneath the canister, Release the tab and unscrew the bolt and it all
falls apart. Be carefull to catch the bits that come out and keep them in
order ie fibre washers and a spring and another fibre washer. To get this
far you must have firstly removed the upper tray from the sump by removing
the 4 bolts securing it. Also remove the 4 bolts  attaching the suction tube
to the side of the sump. On reassembly you will have to renew the round
gasket between the suction tube flange and the sump. Remember to replace the
locking wires on these 4 bolts.

And the best of luck!!
Regards

David Tinker