FS 1955 MG TF1500 with less than 13k miles....(long)

To: <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: FS 1955 MG TF1500 with less than 13k miles....(long)
From: "Steve Hammatt" <shammatt@sos.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 16:18:30 -0800
1955 MG-TF "1500". Less than 13k miles since new. First time ever offered
for sale! Absolutely one of the finest examples anywhere. Second owner for
past 40 years. Black exterior, red interior, tan top and side curtains.
Everything original (paint, leather, top, tires) except for cosmetic
upgrades: Chrome wire wheels, polished aluminum engine covers, Lucas PL
headlamps. Includes all factory supplied tools, manuals, some spares, and
original British number plates. (The car is a LHD Export model purchased in
England by the first owner.) Always garaged, always covered, totally
pampered. Rare opportunity to acquire a desirable MG of this caliber.
US$29,950.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=133129&a=990806&p=13567491
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=133129&a=990806&p=13567493
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=133129&a=990806&p=13567496

A bit of history on the black TF... I acquired the car in the spring of
1960 in Princeton, NJ from the family that originally purchased the car in
England in 1955. (I was enamored of the MG-TF for years, had saved enough
money to finally buy one after scanning the east coast market for months,
and had just committed to and acquired another one--a nice red TF
1500--totally exhausting all my resources when this gorgeous black one
magically appeared and captured my fancy. It was not advertised, I just
happened across it in a parking lot, and left a note inquiring if it was for
sale. The owner contacted me and said yes! Thanks to a generous loan, I
was able to purchase it and so for a while, at that young age, I was already
in debt, but owned two MG-TF 1500s! I guess I've always believed that if
one is good, two is better....but I did put the red one on the market and
was able to resell it quickly.)  At that time, the car had slightly over
10,000 miles since new. That summer, I drove it from NJ to my home in
Montana adding about 3,000 more miles, knowing that I had found a gem.
I spent my spare time that summer beginning the cleaning and polishing
effort to bring the car up to show quality. My family was in the furniture
business, so I had the good fortune to have a place to safely store the car
over the winter: the furniture store warehouse--dry, warm, out of harm's
way. That fall, while attending the NY Automobile Show in Manhattan, I
spotted a Triumph TR display up on a stand with chrome wire wheels which I
mentally envisioned on my TF and truly lusted after. Following some
delicate negotiations, those wheels were made available to me, and shipped
to Montana.

The next summer, I took the car out of storage, installed the new chrome
wheels along with some polished aluminum engine covers and spiffy new number
plates I found through sources in England, did a lot more cleaning and
polishing, entered the car in a local concours (with some pretty good
competition given its place and time) and won first place! Other than to
and from the show, the car has never been used; after all, who wants to
dirty up the underside of fenders, etc. when you've spent 100 hours flat on
your back cleaning and waxing?

In preparation for storage at the end of summer, knowing I was going to be
entering the Navy after graduation and not knowing when I'd have time again
for the car, I changed the oil, drained the fuel tank and system, pulled the
plugs and oiled the cylinders, and put the car on blocks and under cover.
It remained like that for the next 35 years! When the building was sold
about five years ago, I transported the car in a covered truck to my home in
Washington state, and it has subsequently resided in my sealed, heated
garage since.

The car has not been returned to operational status since 1961. It is my
desire that the decision to operate the car or continue its preservation be
left up to the new owner.

I believe I still have the original stamped steel rocker
cover and side plate, and the painted fan blades, too. (Remember, I
never throw ANYTHING away!!) Those were the only substitutions made under
the hood or any where else other than cleaning and polishing. I think I
still have the original Lucas headlamps also (replaced by the fancier
PLs)--neither of which are sealed beam. I know I don't have the original
painted wire wheels--they were sold a long time ago (sat around taking up
too much space, and I probably needed the $$ to buy something), but new,
identical replacements are readily available, I'm sure, if desired (but I
don't know why, because I think the chrome could have been had as an option;
at least they have the right number of spokes!) Have complete original tool
kit,
jack, KO hammer (the underhood tool box is lined with white felt, and it's
still white, not dirty or greasy. Externally, I polished the brass door
hinges (they can be repainted black if need be). Original owners manual,
shop manual, etc. And original sales brochure. Knockoff
hubs all have MG in the casting, showing them to be original, and have NO
hammer marks on the ears---no dog ears... Did replace the chrome running
board strips with new ones 40 years ago because one or two had a little wear
showing or a dent not in keeping with the rest of the car. Underside of
fenders, etc. cleaned and waxed! Car not perfectly Q-tip clean underneath,
but overall was enough to win first place in the only concours I ever
entered
it in. Still have the engraved silver bowl trophy! I'll let you know if I
think of anything else....

Contact:  Steve Hammatt
Mount Vernon, Washington USA
360-428-8882