Swivel pin replacement

To: Team Net <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Swivel pin replacement
From: gregg.smith@slc.k12.ut.us (Gregg Smith)
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1999 08:09:05 -0600
MGT list:

I was fitting up the front suspension to my TD restoration project this
weekend when I discovered that both lower links don't rotate true on
their swivel pins.  In other words, it looks like the pins are slightly
bent.  If ignored, this will put stress on the A-arm bushings and mess
with the steering geometry.  I've owned the car since 1965 so the
problem likely existed before I bought the car.

The way I see it, I have two or three options

1) Can the pins be straightened?  I'm assuming they are hardened so it
will take a properly equipped shop to address the problem.  I have no
experience with such matters and will need some advice.

2) Abingdon sells swivel pins but replacing them looks to be a real
challenge.  I can't find anything in the Workshop Manual that explains
the process.  Does anyone have any experience with removing a swivel pin
from the knuckle joint and replacing it?

3) The final option would be to replace the entire knuckle joint
complete with swivel pin.  Abingdon sells used assemblies but this looks
like a rather expensive option.

Any suggestions?

Gregg Smith
'50 MG TD