RE: tires

To: "'mg-t@autox.team.net'" <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: tires
From: "Moorhead, Tim" <tmoorhead@sprinc.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 08:44:50 -0500
Gosh, I haven't heard Semperit tires mentioned by anyone in a long time.
Back in 1978, I acquired a '73 240Z which needed tires, and Road & Track had
just run a radial tire comparison which rated Goodyear at #1 and Semperits
as #2.  The price difference was significant, so I put the Semperits on the
Z.  It was the first time I had had radial tires on any car, and I was
astounded.  They were absolutely a wonderful set of tires.  The handling was
great, wet traction was great, and living in northern Ohio at the time, the
Semperits negated any need for snow tires.  If I recall, Semperits were made
in Ireland.  It's too bad they went out of business.  They were some of the
best.

In 1989, when I acquired my first T-car, a '51 TD, it had bias-plys.  When I
put the radials on it, I was again astounded at the handling difference.  My
thought is, "To heck with authenticity, I'm never gonna run anything but
radials".  My TF runs 165-80-15's and at the last slalom that I ran, my time
was faster than 8 of the 10 MGB's.  I attribute much of that to the tires,
some to the car's great handling characteristics, and maybe a bit to my
knowledge of how my car handles.

Radials Forever,

Tim in Dallas