Re: Core Plugs

To: <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Core Plugs
From: "Bob and Carolyn Grunau" <cgrunau@pathcom.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 13:56:25 -0500
One other thing to remember, the large core plugs are 48 mm, the small are
35mm and you need the correct size plugs to ensure a seal.
1-7/8" core plugs are close, but a bit too small,  and may work in a
non-pressurized system, but to be safe use 48 mm for the large ones.
1-3/8" core plugs work OK for 35mm small core plugs.

Check size carefully before installing.
Bob Grunau
----------
> From: Lawrie Alexander <Lawrie@britcars.com>
> To: s4usea@fanniemae.com; mg-t@autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: Core Plugs
> Date: Sunday, February 28, 1999 5:07 PM
. First, clean the edges of the hole where the new plug is to go. I use the
> sharp edge of a flat-bladed screwdriver. Make sure the outside edge has
not
> been damaged by previous owners' attempts to bang a plug into place.
> Sometimes, there are hammer indentations which effectively make the hole
not
> quite perfectly round, which will make it difficult to get the new plug
into
> place. Remove any such defects with a file. The bottom surface of the
hole
> and the sharp angle where the plug will seat need to be really clean and
> smooth so the plug seats properly all the way round.
>
> Next, make sure the plug will go in the hole. Sometimes new ones are a
bit
> too big in diameter. If they are, you need to make them a bit more
concave.
> One way is to use a press, or a vise, and support the plug against a
socket
> that's big enough to just catch the outside edge of the plug, then press
the
> round part of a ball-pein hammer into the center of the plug to make it
just
> a tiny bit deeper. This will effectively make the plug more concave, so
it
> will go in the hole more easily. You are aiming to get the plug to have a
> smooth slip fit so it will go all the way in against the back edge of the
> hole.
>
> That done, coat the plug's inner surface with clear silicone and smear
some
> around its outer edge. (Realise, of course, that the the plug goes in
with
> the convex side facing out!) Then press it into the hole so that it seats
> firmly all the way in. Then take a hammer that is almost the diameter of
the
> plug and hold it against the center of the plug. With a second hammer,
> administer a sharp blow to the first hammer. This will flatten the center
of
> the plug, thus expanding it into place. Do not hit it so hard that it
> becomes deeply concave in the middle; you just want it to flatten out.
Then