Re: Rear and Front main oil seals

To: "John Swanland" <swanland@cato.wesley.vic.edu.au>
Subject: Re: Rear and Front main oil seals
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 22:14:18 -0700
John.....I've been using these rubber lip seals in the fronts of XPAG and
XPEG motors since the mid Seventies. Never, ever had a problem with them.
Virtually every other engine uses a lip seal around the crank pulley, so all
this modification does is bring the XPAG in line with modern thinking - at
least, in this one small area!

You refer to "scary noises" - could you be more specific? Squeals? Clunks?
Rattles? And were you able to determine the source of the noise? What made
you think it was the rubber seal? Is there a possibility that, in removing
parts to access the timing cover to change the seal back to the rope-type,
you repositioned whatever was causing the "scary noise" so that it stopped
doing it? (Water pumps have been known to have their impellers foul the
block.)

Just finding it hard to believe that what works on so many other cars didn't
work for you.....

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center