Re: TC rear axle gearing

To: cgrunau@pathcom.com
Subject: Re: TC rear axle gearing
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 10:19:13 EDT
Hi Bob,
  Two years ago I had the rear axle gears changed on my TD mKII (4.875
was the gearing in the MkII) to 4.1 from the MGA.  I am most pleased with
the change.  Carl Cedarstrand's book said, if I remember correctly, that
the 4.3 was preferred by most owners. I opted for the 4.1 on the basis
that the MkII has the three or six additional raging ponies and could
carry the higher ratio.  I note that Moss advocates 4.55.
  Just yesterday I had an opportunity to drive a standard TD that had
just been fitted with a Datsun 5-speed.  As I am not at all sure that the
instruments are accurate, the 3700 rpm at 65mph may or may not be true.
It seemed to be a workable rig. The owner did not discuss the cost of
having the conversion performed, so I can't compare to my experience.
Perhaps later in the warm weather we can get the two cars together for a
comparison.
Bob
NEMGTR #5547