Lincoln 4.6 Mark VIII/Ardun Descendent?

To: theflatlander@webtv.net, bigsid@webtv.net, bk185@lafn.org (marco),
Subject: Lincoln 4.6 Mark VIII/Ardun Descendent?
From: ardunbill@webtv.net
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2000 12:40:04 -0400 (EDT)
Hi Folks.  Sitting here on a lovely Easter morning and an Idea swam up
to the surface of my fertile imagination.  For somebody else to do, of
course.

Let us visualize, if you will, the modern Mark VIII DOHC EFI 32 valve
engine as a descendent of the good old Flathead Ford V8 (with Ardun OHV
conversion, mind you).  This is about 280 cubes and a semi-race engine
sold to the public (still current in the Continental) and as I know from
many happy miles in my own '95 Lincoln, a tremendous performer that
almost scares you to turn full on in highway conditions.

These said Mark VIII engines will now be available from junkyard wrecks
in good condition, cheap, with a strong automatic attached, as a
package.  Seems like a great opportunity for people to build race cars
for speed trials, assuming, as I do, that these stock engines have
long-distance durability at high rpm, which they ought to.  Might be
downright easy and inexpensive, compared with all the other alternatives
that we do.  What got me started on this line of thought was the easy
150 HP kit NOS is advertising in the latest Bonneville Racing News for
this power unit. But one wouldn't have to go that way, stock is pretty
good.

Don't anybody worry, I'm sticking with the hard way.  I'm in too deep to
ever go back now.  In other words, committed.

Cheers from ArdunBill in the Great Dismal Swamp, Chesapeake, VA