Re: Things moving in Dallas!

To: JERRY FOSTER <fosterap@flash.net>, LSR Group <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Things moving in Dallas!
From: Dick Jurkowski <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 07:34:53 -0700 (PDT)
JERRY,
Those left coast and right coast guys don't fully
understand this.  That "100 miles" is the same as
"two blocks over" for those guys.  I know I can
drive that 100 miles from home to Dallas faster
than I used to commute the 18 miles to work when
I was in Washington, DC!  Home to work in
Washington = 1 hour and 30 minutes.  The 100
miles from home to dallas = 1 hour and ten
minutes (if i don't slow down to look at that row
of old cars on the side of the interstate just
this side of Terrel).
You might consider a "partial" job.  Some pubs
like Deals on Wheels carry lotso neat street rod
stuff that has a lot of the work done and could
be finished off as an LSR car.  I almost opted
for a '48 chev with small block that was in the
Thrifty Nickel for $2100.  It ran like a top, was
real solid, already had a chopped top but no
interior - but the flathead fever was too bad. A
couple of weeks ago I looked at a chopped 34
Plymouth coupe with small block Mopar at Canton
that would make a neat LSR car.  I also looked at
a sprint car frame with a roll cage that wouldn't
stop that would have made a good start for an LSR
car.  There are also a lot of really nice drag
cars around this area that could be converted
into nice LSR cars. For sure, there is not void
when it comes to looking for material to start
the project.  Hurry up!!  I want to know what
you're building.  Oh, the other way I thought of
going was to just buy a '27 T track roadster kit
from Speedway and go from there.  I mean, add a
cage, crate motor of choice (Mopar hemi??) and
you're on your way!  Once you get started, I'll
drive over, drop my wife and daughter off at
Grapevine Mall, and link up with you for an
afternoon.  Hey, how about one of those belly
tanks that are advertised in the ECTA bulletin!

--- JERRY FOSTER <fosterap@flash.net> wrote:
> Hey guys, I sold my street rod!  It took the
> guy over 90 days to talk
> his wife into it.  Making room in the shop for
> my LSR project.  Haven't
> pinned it down yet, but definitely one of the
> vintage classes, as in
> roadster, street rdstr or modified rdstr. (or
> coupe).  If I had any
> sense I would buy an existing car and go, but I
> enjoy the building/shop
> work.  Dick J. is less than 100 miles from me.
> Can't let him have all
> the fun. Jerry Foster

=====
Dick J - - ECTA #72