healeys

Re: [Healeys] 100 Aluminium Head

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] 100 Aluminium Head
From: "Quinn, Patrick" <Patrick.Quinn@det.nsw.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 10:10:41 +1000
G'day

I don't know whether I wholly agree that a BN1 box couldn't handle the
additional power.

Sure they are to prone breakages of 2nd gear in both the gear and
cluster (laygear), but I have found that the BN1 box will last, as long
as it's assembled correctly.

It is very important that the teeth in both the gear and the cluster are
100% aligned. That is the job of the spacers that are fitted over the
layshaft at either end of the cluster. Of course the various size
spacers that were available back then would have to be remanufactured
today.

BN1s were raced for years during the 1950s without the problems of
breakages experienced in later times and that was achieved through
careful assembly.

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn
Sydney, Australia