healeys

Re: factory applied seam sealer

To: linwoodrose@mac.com
Subject: Re: factory applied seam sealer
From: John Loftus <loftusdesign@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 14:49:40 -0700
Hi Lin,

I found evidence of caulk/sealer under the car where the box frame and
superstructure overlapped (such as where the boot bottom rests on the
frame) and brush sealer on the rear axle tunnel wall (boot wall). I used
3M Fast and Firm on my restoration and it took at least 6 tubes to go
around the car.  Especially important IMO are areas that will see water
spray when driving in the rain ... inner fenders, frame/superstructure
joints, floor boards but once you get going on sealing joints why stop?
It doesn't take too long to go completely around and under the vehicle
and get them all.

Here's some photos showing seam sealer application on my car and another
BJ7:

http://www.loftusdesign.net/restorationweb/seamsealer1.html
http://www.iai.heig-vd.ch/~fwi/cars/AHbj7/bodywork.htm#cresto  (look
under 'paint preparation')