healeys

Re: Concidering Smitty's conversion for my BN1/feedback

To: <kinderlehrer@comcast.net>,
Subject: Re: Concidering Smitty's conversion for my BN1/feedback
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 09:00:56 -0700
Here's another reason:

A 5-speed is a 5-speed.  Nothing noteworthy there.  A Healey gearbox
isn't exactly
a marvel of engineering, but the Laycock deNormanville is an extremely
elegant,
effective, rugged and (generally) reliable piece of engineering.  I've
been driving my
BJ8 for over 23 years and 90K miles, and I'm still learning things about
driving it (I learned the other day, for instance, that when the o/d
relay starts to get
flakey, you can pull it out, file the points, reassemble and probably
get another
20-30K miles out of it).

I have to work hard at shifting properly.  Maybe one out of three times
I feel I've
aced a shift sequence.  Makes the most mundane drive into an adventure
(that's
what these cars are all about).  Shifting into and out of overdrive
makes me feel
like I'm dropping in and out of warp.

Stick with the original gearbox and overdrive.

bs