healeys

Re: BT7 Frozen Engine.

To: rd_parker@juno.com, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: BT7 Frozen Engine.
From: N5572B@aol.com
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 11:16:17 EDT
Many years ago (and I might have told this story once all ready) I bought a
BN7 that had been crashed for parts.  After obtaining it, my roommate found
another BN7 with no engine.  We pulled the engine from the crashed one and put
it
in the good one.  The engine had sat unused for several years and was, like
yours, frozen solid.  We marvel mystery oiled it to no avail and with strong
batteries and a jump from mine, it still would not start.

At the time, we lived on a hill and so...rolled it downhill, trying to jump
start it.  The first few times, the wheels locked when clutch was engaged but
the third time, it broke loose and started.  It spewed a lot of junk out the
tailpipe and ran very well.  I know we changed the oil and filter shortly there
after (we had pout new oil in it before trying to start it) but the interval
is lost to memory, probably not more than 500 miles.  Not the recommended
procedure I am sure, but it worked.  You could tow it behind another vehicle
and do
the same thing.

Anyway, he drove it for many thousands of miles with no ill effects until his
brother "borrowed" the car one night and was T-boned going through an
intersection by another driver and the car was bent in two.

Sadly, both cars which would be rebuildable today, went to a wrecking yard.
If I knew then what I know now...

Cheers,
Dave Duffey
59 BT 7 project