healeys

Re: adjusting OD solenoid lever

To: Carole and Jonathan Quandt <fourqz@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: adjusting OD solenoid lever
From: Dave & M <rusd@velocitus.net>
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 16:59:09 -0700
Hi Jon,

See if this helps, the solenoid may be burned:

Control valve adjustment
The control valve located under a brass cap near the front RH side of
the OD must be correctly adjusted. Under the brass cap is a spring, a
spring follower, a control ball, & a long operating rod. The ball should
be 5/16 diameter. The ball lift is what controls shifting. The book
method of putting a pin through the RH arm & adjusting the LH operating
arm is not a very reliable method of setting the ball lift. Wear in any
of the parts will change the required setting from the original pinned
arm method.

The most accurate & reliable method of setting the valve lift is:
a- Set control valve ball lift to .030" to .040". Measure with dial
indicator. Cap & spring removed. Adjust clamped operating arm. Verify
movement with the solenoid plunger, not the arm. I machined an adaptor
to fit snugly in the plug hole & to extend high enough to provide a flat
surface for a dial depth gage to sit on. I made a cup shaped end for the
gage so that it would easily center on the ball.

b- Set solenoid control arm (on solenoid plunger) to .160" drop. Adjust
stop or add stop below the plunger if needed to accomplish this. (Arm
drop is not the same as plunger drop due to slack in lifter.)

OD operate solenoid
a- The OD soleniod is designed with two electrical coils. The first coil
(operate coil) is energized by the OD circuitry. It momentarily draws
about 20 amps. As soon as the solenoid is operated, a contact on top of
the solenoid opens & transfers current to the second (holding) coil
which draws  about two amps. If the switching contacts are dirty or
damaged, the solenoid will be operating on the holding coil only & will
not have enough power to engage the OD. The contacts are located under
the top rubber boot.

b- If the switching contacts do not open due to contact problems or the
solenoid travel not being adjusted to give a full soleniod stroke, the
solenoid will remain energized by the operate coil 920 amps) & burn out
quickly.

Regards,
Dave Russell
BN2