healeys

Tricarb Venting -Conclusion

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tricarb Venting -Conclusion
From: "davidwjones" <davidwjones@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 17:10:58 -0400
Well, I took the valve cover off hot, and checked the oiling at the rockers,
as suggested with the engine revved. --All looked normal, with the same amount
of seepage as usual. That, and as I said, the compression looks great.

I went so far as to go check out my friend's BJ8, with the crankcase vent line
pulled, and it appears to put out roughly the same amount of vapor as mine
does.

Seems that not only was I smelling exhaust during short drives, but even
later, when not in the car.  --I usually go out to the garage and fire the
Healey up, and sit and wait for it to get warm. --The exhaust smell is almost
overwhelming in the garage. and I invariably back the car down the long
driveway - which doesn't help. -Maybe it is running a little rich, too. --From
that point forward, I've been smelling exhaust, while out on rides.

I took the Healey out for a long drive today, and picked a buddy up at his
house. --He says he doesn't smell anything, and that I'm nuts. --So maybe it
is just a matter of sucking too much exhaust at the start of the drive, while
warming up in the garage....Maybe the moustache and beard aren't helping,
either, -acting as an "exhaust saver".

Thanks to those who had suggestions and reports on their tricarbs, --  Dave
J.