healeys

Tape on exhaust headers

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tape on exhaust headers
From: "Simon Lachlan" <simon.lachlan@homecall.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 19:16:52 +0100
Car is a MkII BT7 with 3 HD6s.
The sad saga of my knocking off/destroying my exhaust gets worse..I find
that the front of the two exhaust manifolds has fractured across two of the
three stud holes where the down pipe mates up to it. So, despite the
possibility of some rare and expert welding from a local blacksmith, I
realistically have to accept that the manifold has had it.
A second manifold is possible, but the money isn't good. By the time I've
bought that and had the old system repaired, I'm just as well off putting on
a 6 branch "bunch of bananas" and a new silencer etc.
So, question time:-
1)The supplier says that one can keep the old heat shield with this new set
up, which I find a bit incredible. But, he says, I just need to bend the
shield around at a couple of angles and hey presto! (like anything is ever
hey presto with these cars!!)
I think I'll be doing without heat shields myself and am wondering about
heat and fuel bowls etcetc.
I've heard that tape on headers effectively forces some of the heat back
into the Head (doesn't allow the heat to dissipate) and that this can cause
problems. Is this so? Seems to me that putting tape on before the pipes are
fitted in a good, easy and practical way forward?? Except, I suppose, IF the
heat shield could remain in situ, one wouldn't have to disturb the carbs??
So.
2) can one remove the exhaust manifolds and replace with 6 branch without
removing the carbs??
3) I gather that the carbs being HD6, not HS4 will not affect the
installation of the 6 branch? Eg that it won't be even harder??
Thanks,
Simon.

Simon Lachlan
Comfort House