healeys

Re: BJ8 pulling to the left

To: "Dean" <dht3000@adelphia.net>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: BJ8 pulling to the left
From: "Chris Dimmock" <cd3000@bigpond.net.au>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 00:49:23 +1100
If the problem isn't the rear suspension bushes/ loose spring to diff
mounting as several have suggested - then what you are describing actually
sounds like you have a detroit locker fitted.

I had a detroit locker in my BJ8 - the rear of the car steps out as the diff
locks and unlocks. It locks under power and unlocks when you back off -
exactly as you described.

It can be very, very disconcerting in the wet......but they are fantastic in
the dry - on a racetrack. Detroit lockers are crap on the road - trust me -
I persevered with one in my BJ8 for about 3 years before I bought a Quaiffe.

A detroit locker is an acquired taste. I know several Healey racers who
wouldn't drive a car with a Detroit Locker fitted. Ever.... you either love
them - or hate them - on the track - but they are just too dangerous on the
road IMO.

Detroit lockers are very aggressive - they are either locked or unlocked -
and they make the car buck and jerk if you feather the throttle at low
speed - as the diff keeps locking and unlocking as you touch and release the
throttle.

If everything else in the rear suspension is ok - I'd suspect you may have a
detroit locker....

Best

Chris Dimmock
www.myaustinhealey.com