healeys

Rear Whl. Bearing Adjust, HELP

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rear Whl. Bearing Adjust, HELP
From: "Mark and Kathy" <mgtrcars@galaxyinternet.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 20:41:19 -0500
Frustrated in Healeyland.  This is right up there with trying to get the old,
rusted, rear springs off.   (but cleaner)

I am trying to get the required .001 to .004 clearance for the rear bearing.
I am using the gasket, and the spacer as suggested in the manual along with a
straight edge and feeler gauge.

The problem is that I keep going from .000 to .008 or something.  The fact
that you just can't TAP these bearings back and forth, its more like a WAP
back and forth which doesn't allow for any gentle persuasion.  And of course I
am using blocks of wood and cloths for protection.

 Is it best to error on the high side (.004-.008ish)  or the low side.
Hopefully this is one of those areas that has a little bit of a Fudge Factor.

What happened to the fun I was having last week?

Mark