healeys

Re: Break in new rear end

To: <RonFineEsq@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Break in new rear end
From: "M Lempert" <mlempert@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2005 22:37:46 -0400
Ron:  You can print a copy of the procedure from this page:
http://www.pbase.com/image/48667651  And yes, the gears and new bearings
will generate much more heat during this period.  However, you should not
hear any increased or unusual noise.  Noise is a sign of improperly aligned
gears and should be corrected ASAP as continued use would damage the gears.
Some people have said they become much more aware of the noise because they
are listening for it, but a poorly aligned instalation will be rather
obvious.

What may come as a surprise to many is that I am only just now installing my
own set.  I have the BN2 with my mechanic getting the front end steering
rebuilt and have asked him to install the pumpkin at the same time.  I've
had it sitting here since the first gear run four (or is it five ?) years
ago.  Just in time for my drive to the Southeastern in three weeks.  I sure
hope it saves me some gas money.

Regards,
Mike L.