healeys

Re: 6 year max tire life?

To: "Justin" <spartan0199@hotmail.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 6 year max tire life?
From: "BritishCarWeek" <BritCarWeek@arczip.com>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 15:49:39 -0500
Hi Justin,

I'm not a tire expert, but I think there's a lot more to this idea than just
replacing the tires after six years. They're probably basing their
replacement duration figures using worst case scenario. If the car spends
most of its time in the garage and isn't driven very often, then six years
is probably a tad bit premature. Wear and tear caused by driving, and
ultraviolet rays from the sun [deteriorating the rubber] while sitting
outdoors will cause the tire to age much quicker.

I'm sure the "Firestone Wilderness" tire fiasco had a little bit to do with
this decision.....

Scott Helms