healeys

Re: Engine & drive train alignment -Tri-Carb Jet Clearance

To: "Rich C" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>,
Subject: Re: Engine & drive train alignment -Tri-Carb Jet Clearance
From: "John Snyder" <helyjohn@cablespeed.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 18:31:52 -0800
I agree w/ Rich C.  Of course, I had to learn the hard way.  First tri-carb
I did, installing the engine, final stages, found the rear jet touching the
steering column.  Pulled the engine, and did just what Rich said.  (moved
the steering column)

John Snyder

> Gentlemen,
> Unless there has been some sort of chassis distortion or metal
> replacement, there should be close but adequate clearance. That said,
> there are two things that could cause too litle clearance.
> 1. badly sagged engine mount rubbers and rebound rubbers
> 2. a steering column that has been adjusted too high.
>
> The first instance is an obvious fix. There are by the way only one size
> to the engine mount rubbers.
> The second, to adjust the steering column can be done simply enough.
> Loosen the3  fastening bolts at the steering box, and remove the bolt
> fastening the upper column yoke to the strut under the dash. Loosen the 4
> screws on each  steering column grommet plate (one on the firewall in the
> engine bay and one up under the dash) to allow the grommet and it's plate
> to move and still leave the rubber grommet on centre. Now select a hole
> (there are 4 to choose from) in the under dash column strut that will
> position the yoke lower to give better clearance with the
 carb jet and replace the bolt, lock and nut in the yoke to strut. Finally
retighten the grommet plates so the grommets are not in tension but are
nicely centred on the column.