healeys

Re: Driving Lights

To: davidwjones <davidwjones@cox.net>, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Driving Lights
From: Blue One Hundred <international_investor@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 00:14:37 -0700 (PDT)
David -

First I would recommend not to mount flamethrowers on
your badge bar.  Many of the badge bars I have seen
are not sturdy enough to handle the weight of a
flamethrower lamp... so when you are driving with them
on, your flamethrower's beam will be vibrating all
over the place everytime you hit a small bump in the
road.  Trust me this is annoying.  If you notice... no
rally car or factory modified healey had flamethrowers
mounted on badge bars for this reason.

A simple fix is to make up a small metal L bracket
that is either welded or bolted up to the inside
bumper bracket, with a hole to mount the flamethrower
through the splash panel.  Drill a hole in your splash
panel and mount the flamethrower through the splash
panel and the L bracket.  Doing it this way will keep
the light firmly mounted, and will have the added
benefit of stabilizing the splash panel (which can be
a problem on 6-cyl healeys).

Rigging up the lights is simple ... just make sure a
power relay is used to switch on the light rather than
running the power through the switch on the dashboard
(this can be dangerous)... you will get a much
stronger light this way.

there are alot of nice light switch panels out
there... just use one from carquest/napa until you
find a nice used Lucas panel if that's your thing.

Hope that helps,

Alan

'53 BN1 '64 BJ8