Re: GEEZ dongle and win XP

To: geez@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: GEEZ dongle and win XP
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 10:36:46 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 Dglong@aol.com wrote:
> Sorry if this has been hashed out before, but I just found this list.
> I am having trouble getting GEEZ to run on my Panasonic CF-71 Tough Book.
> GEEZ does not see the dongle on the parallel port.
> I've tried NT and XP, and I've used the downloaded "KEY" item also.
> I've tested the parallel port using a HP printer and that all worked fine.
> The dongle works fine on my desk top running XP.
> Any suggestions?

You mean besides returning Geez, letting them know its because they use a
stupid customer un-friendly method for software control?

(no smiley.  I hate the stupid dongle.)

First, go look at the parallel port in the OS.  In XP, you can do it by
right clicking "my computer", choose properties, then hit the hardware
tab.  On that tab is a button for "Device Manager".  Hit that, then find
the entry for "Ports".  Make sure there's an LPT1 port there (you'll need
to expand the ports selection by hitting the little plus sign).  Right
click and choose properties.  In the window that pops up, verify that
everything looks ok, specifically that the "resources" tab shows an I/O
Range of 0378-037F and (maybe?) 0778-077F, along with "no conflicts" in
the conflicting device list.

Also, I remember back in the bad old days of PC's that there were
different spec parallel ports.  Is your laptop really old?

Then, in the more recent days, with all the plug 'n play OS's and such,
sometimes the bios has stuff turned off that the OS later turns on or
whatever.  You might check your bios settings (the "hit F2 to enter setup"
or whatever thing you see when you boot the laptop) to see if the parallel
port is somehow configured weirdly.

Perhaps some of that will help.

What would _really_ help would be a version of the software that didn't
require the dumbass dongle.

Mark