Re: Spliting multiple laps into single laps?

To: "Nelson, James Howard (UMR-Student)" <jhnrh7@umr.edu>,
Subject: Re: Spliting multiple laps into single laps?
From: Brian Kennedy <kennedy@computer.org>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 04:57:49 -0500
At 10:03 PM 6/25/02, Nelson, James Howard (UMR-Student) wrote:
>I collected some data with a Formula SAE car running multiple laps on a
>~20 second course.  Is there a way I can split the data into multiple
>single lap data sets.  The idea being to compare separate laps to each
>other, which I can then show the drivers.  I have a record stop watch
>laptimes and lap counts for each driver.

Absolutely.  In fact, you must split up the data into laps to make it
useful.  The tutorial in the help does a good job of walking you through
it.  But in a nutshell, you only see the first N seconds.  You adjust the
map (adjust end speed) and then put the "cursor" at the point in the map
where you want to split laps.  Then you click on the multi-lap button in
the toolbar.  Then you see the next N seconds... just make sure N is
greater than the lap time.  Repeat.  You'll end up with the session
broken into laps.

BTW, where's the best place to split laps?  I pick a slow, tight corner
where I almost always brake or transition at exactly the same point.
That makes it easy to see on the map and easy to be consistent.  It is
also good for analysis purposes... because the performance before such
a corner has less to do with the performance after such a corner, unlike
corners where you are less consistent.

Byron, a really cool upgrade to Geez that would be easier than GPS would
be to record a single additional binary signal which could be fed by
a HotLap timer, or any number of other devices... that way you could set
up one or more HotLap beacons and get some really reliable split times.
Actually, I'd add two or three such binary signals... there's other things
you could do with those.  For example, you could set up a simple switch
or fat button next to the shifter so that you can mark laps... for example,
if that lap was impeded by traffic, you tap the button on the back straight.

Brian