fot

Re: [Fot] Crank Harmonics and Carburetion

To: Kas Kastner <kaskastner@gmail.com>, Friends Of Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>, Phil Gott <vfracing@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Crank Harmonics and Carburetion
From: Rick Parent via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2020 17:50:26 +0000 (UTC)

------=_Part_5448698_21030883.1598377826171

Sounds like the open carb is the problem, check for sticktion and spring pr=
essure. The way the needles are designed the piston should rise slowly to i=
ts max point and stay there. the incorrect operation looks like the pistons=
 opening to their max point instantaneously. Most race SU's function like t=
he latter and there is nothing wrong with that as long as the AFR is approp=
riate at all points, where the problem lies is when you can't get from your=
 trailer to the pit late without having to rev the Sxxx out of it, that's t=
he classic example.
On a side note a motor can only use so much air and if your carbs are large=
r than necessary the pistons will find the place they like to live and that=
's what you get. So just because the pistons are not all the way up doesn't=
 mean they are not working properly, it just means if you want the pistons =
up all the way you will need more displacement, haha.
Rick

"Doing the right thing is always the right thing, regardless of consequence=
s"

=20

    On Tuesday, August 25, 2020, 12:14:18 PM EDT, Phil Gott via Fot <fot@au=
tox.team.net> wrote: =20
=20
 Thanks everyone.I=E2=80=99m glad to know that we=E2=80=99re not alone.=C2=
=A0The carbs were rebushed by Joe Curto last winter. Running red, yellow, b=
lue and no springs. It happened in every case, with slight differences in f=
inal height depending on spring rate. =C2=A0 Checked for vacuum leaks: we r=
un the graphite hi performance manifold gaskets. We did find a slight gouge=
 in one of the rear Manifold gasket faces. Dave did some harmonic calculati=
ons, treating the manifold and carb like a recorder and found that there ma=
y be a high pressure area under the two air holes of the piston at just abo=
ut 5300 rpm. That slight gouge could have been contributing to some high pr=
essure harmonics that would make the piston drop, just like a recorder will=
 squeak if each air hole is not closed completely. Have not been back on th=
e dyno to check the effect since, but that supports the idea that it might =
be due to a vacuum leak.Cranking compression is all within 10 psi of each o=
ther.Using my last stash of 10W oil in the dampers.Could not swap carbs due=
 to linkage issues, but we did swap pistons. No change: rear still dropped.=
We did see an increase of about 0.5 in air/fuel ratio when the piston dropp=
ed. That is because a fatter part of the needle closed down the fuel toroid=
, as it should. =C2=A0That change in air/fuel ratio went away when we manua=
lly held the piston open.
I have to agree that it does not seem to impact power much because the peak=
 HP on the dyno was about the same whether we held the piston open or not. =
=C2=A0Intuitively that does not make sense, but there it is.....But to retu=
rn to the question, it does not seem related to the crank harmonics, I surm=
ise after seeing all the responses.For what it=E2=80=99s worth, we are runn=
ing a Tilton Aluminum flywheel ( I forget the Weight) with a TR6 pressure p=
late and three puck disc. As a left-over from =E2=80=9Cback in the day,=E2=
=80=9D I run a Corvair damper. It=E2=80=99s relatively massive with high in=
ertia due to it=E2=80=99s diameter. It seems to work well. Have had no fret=
ting of the nose if the crank that we=E2=80=99ve seen with the small damper=
s available in kits today, or with none at all.
Sent from my iPhone