fot

RE: [FOT] Reality check:

To: "'Gasket Works USA'" <gasket.works@gte.net>
Subject: RE: [FOT] Reality check:
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 13:56:03 -0700
How is the Biodiesel project going? Any big snags? My neighbor (and racing
nemesis) has been producing Biodiesel on a large scale for some time, but he
owns Kettle Chips--no lack of waste oil. Here in Portland most of the
sources of waste oil have been scarfed up, there are several small and one
not-so-small companies doing esterization.

I'm also interested in installing photovoltaics on the roof of my house in
Portland and a stand alone array in Maui (can't deface that beautiful tile
roof), but I'm going to wait a little while. There's a new factory coming on
line in the next year that uses a printing process to build them a lot
cheaper. The plan is to produce about 400MW of photovoltaics per year, that
should bring the price down rapidly. There is about 1000MW of production
coming on line next year, which should trim the costs down to a more
rational level. My Airstream project will have a photovoltaic roof. I've
unfortunately already bought the panels and built a tilting mechanism. I
plan to have only a 2KW generator for backup and 5KW of inverter. It's nice
to be able to operate everything, including compressor and welder, without
noise.