fot

Questions on Resurecting an early 70's Spitfire Racecar.

To: Friends of Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Questions on Resurecting an early 70's Spitfire Racecar.
From: Glenn Franco <gaf3@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 21:59:12 -0500
I about at the halfway point of bringing an early 70's Spitfire Racer
back to life but I have a few questions to all that have built and raced
Spitfires.

Any suggestions on fuel cell capacity for vintage type events in the
midwest? Will an 8 gallon be enough or should I spring for the 12 gallon
capacity? What dimension are the cells you are using? This car used a
standard fuel tank back in 72/73.

I'm in the middle of building up a large crank journal 1296 engine and
need to source a cam. Any recommendations? I have a couple of small
bearing 1296's that I will build next, but I want to get this thing to
driver school this spring if at all possible.

The cylinder head needs be milled to raise compression after I port and
polish it. How much have you all shaved off and what compression ratio's
have you ended up with. I have another head that was prepared for the
original owner and it looks like they took off 3/16".  Suggestions?

I currently have a single 1 1/2" SU mounted on a ported intake, but also
have a twin 1 1/2" SU , twin 1 1/4" SU and twin side draft weber
manifold and 40 mm carbs. Suggestions on the best setup?

I do have both of Kas Kastner's prep books but any suggestions would be
appreciated.
Thanks
Glenn Franco
72-3 Spitfire racer