fot

Re roll bars and cages

To: fot@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re roll bars and cages
From: Editorgary@aol.com
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 15:13:58 EDT
Interesting contrast note on roll protection. When I designed the "cage" for
my MGA (front hoop under scuttle, rear hoop over my head, diagonal brace and
harness bar across rear hoop, braces from rear hoop to rear frame, x-bars
across doors) I checked into various organizations' regulations. Discovered
that my
design would be illegal in VSCCA racing, since they specify that the roll
protection can attach to the chassis at only five points and that front hoops
are
not permitted. Their concern, apparently, is that roll cages not be used to
strengthen vintage chassis.
In practice, that means no side-intrusion protection.
That would worry me, since at our speeds and with our suspensions in
small-bore production classes, it seems much more likely that we will get
t-boned
after going sideways on the far side of a blind corner or crest, than that we
will
roll over.
Cheers
Gary Anderson