fot

RE: Reducing negative camber

To: "'Don Marshall'" <marshall@nefcom.net>, FOT <FOT@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Reducing negative camber
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 17:55:14 -0700
Zero toe is good, 20 pounds is close but it probably feels good because you
have so much camber--something has to get that contact patch down on the
ground. Two possibilities: switch to radials--2.4 to 4 degrees is radial
territory. Bias ply Hoosiers have too stiff a sidewall to work like that.
Second, make the upper arm adjustable. I can send you a shot of Peyote's
upper arm if you'd like, but basically you replace the upper bushings with
heim joints. TR3/4 both suffer from a lot of camber gain and a lot of bump
steer. As the suspension compresses the camber increases. If you model the
arms and upright you can see how it happens. Lengthening the upper arm and
moving the pivot point inwards the same amount will decrease the camber
gain. Lengthening the arm more than you move it inwards will decrease camber
and reduce camber gain.

When you change any of these things you want to check your bump steer and
try to minimize it. Some of your tire wear might actually come from bump
steer--it toes the car in or out when the suspension compresses. Look in
Kas' book at page 211-214 for some ideas.