fot

RE: Moldex crank

To: Richard Taylor <tarch@bellsouth.net>,
Subject: RE: Moldex crank
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 14:23:12 -0700
The economic pain probably happens less often if you build the best engine
you can afford, whatever that means (though you tend to flog a better engine
a lot harder). When I look at a stock Triumph rod I think there's just no
way I want that junk in an engine of mine. The cranks don't look that bad,
though they have a lot of stress risers that give me the willies. It's not
easy to turn stuff with that sharp an edge, you've got to wonder why they
did it that way.  Moldex cranks are gorgeous. I don't know if a harmonic
balancer would have saved your crank, but I wouldn't build an engine without
one.

BTW, I crack check everything each year when I tear it down. I have my own
Mangaflux and dye penetrant setup (Microsoft spell checker suggests Megaflop
and Penetrate). I found cracks in several Triumph cranks. Usually in the
rear main journal area. Also found lots of cracked Triumph rods. Very small
cracks, but often in the same area near the oil hole. So far I've never
found a cracked Carillo (knock on wood).