fot

Weekend report

To: "'fot@autox.team.net'" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Weekend report
From: Chip Bond <spirals@esinet.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 10:44:19 -0400
Triumph Racing Friends,

Well, after 150 miles on the engine this weekend I think I can report that
the Triumph-Tune lifters are holding up well. Total required lash
adjustment did not exceed 003" on the new cam and lifters except for # 2
(intake) where the lash needed to be increased obout 010" (??). I'd love to
hear any comments about lash clearance becoming tighter. The head has a new
valve job so perhaps the valve was seating (or pounding out?).

I'm sad to confirm John's report that the Porsches stold the show wirth a
1-2 finish. We did manage to maintain their pace for about 10 laps until I
found a little loose oil from a GT cars ventilated engine, rotated 180
degrees, and went into the tire wall backwards. Bent a little metal but
restarted OK and got back in behind a lot of cars that I had just managed
to pass.

We chased problems all weekend and finally went to grid Sunday with a very
conservative 28 degree total advance and rich carburation. Throttle
response seemed a little lacking but the car pulled all the way down the
longest straight and I saw 6600 RPM in 4th OD by the braking zone. This was
up about 200 RPM from last year so maybe we're headed in the right
direction.

I'm about to tearout what is left of my hair. I can not keep from oiling
the left rear drum. Per Jack Wheelers recommendation, I put teflon seals in
the recess just behind the diff carrier bearings. And the case vent is
clear. Outside of profane incantations, is there any other solution that
any one may be willing to share?