Re: [Roadsters] 1600 drivers door glass problem

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net, Steve Harvey <stebharvey@ameritech.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] 1600 drivers door glass problem
From: "Graeme S." <graemes@internode.on.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2014 10:12:12 +1030
Close to what Gary said.
I cut some 1.5mm rubber sheet into 50mm lengths and placed them along
the receiving channel, leaving about 100mm between each strip.
Then, after lubing the glass with dish washing liquid, I pressed the
glass into the rubber.
I tried using a continuous length of rubber but it was too hard to get
the glass inside it.
Once the glass was bottomed out and I cleaned off the detergent, I
filled the gaps between the rubber sheet with a silicon sealant/adhesive.
See attachment.
I had to make triple sure the glass was well and truly captive in the
channel because I had fitted fresh fuzzies to the runners.
The friction of those could easily drag the glass out of the channel.

Make sure the channel is clean, rust removed and the sides are parallel
and not belled in or out or you will have difficulty getting a good grip
on the glass.

In my experience, removing/replacing the rollup glass requires removal
of the UPPER travel stop which is screwed to the rear of the channel and
removal of the 1/4 window frame.
Without those two out of the way, I was unable to maneuver the window
away from the channel rollers or out of the door.

Regards,
Graeme S.

nissanman.shutterfly.com

On 24/10/2014 04:37, Gary and Cindy Ault wrote:
> Steve,
>
> I wouldn't use a glue, per se.  I'd use a bead of clear silicone sealant.  It
> will hold fine, and will be easier to remove, if that ever becomes necessary.
>  I'd try using sealant between the U-shaped rubber piece and the glass, and
> see if friction will hold the rubber-covered glass in the channel.  If not,
> put some sealant on the outside of the rubber, also.  That's just what I'd
> try; I've never had problems keeping the glass in place.
>
> It's been many years sine I pulled the windows from the doors, but I seem to
> recall that, if you remove the little limiter in the bottom rail, then crank
> the window appropriately, you can get the window and channel out together,
> and back the same way.  I also seem to recall the process was easier if you
> remove the rubber "squeegies" at the tops of the doors.
>
> You may be able to just run a bead of silicone in the channel without
> removing it from the door, then set the glass and allow the silicone to cure
> for a day.
>
> Gary

241020141491.jpg]