Re: [Roadsters] Exhaust pipe diameter

To: "JohnnyRoadster" <johnnyroadster@comcast.net>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Exhaust pipe diameter
From: "Gary and Cindy Ault" <aultgc@att.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2013 13:29:06 -0500
Early cars had the muffler located within the "X" member -- put plenty of
heat into the floor and passenger compartment.  Later cars had the muffler
behind the passenger compartment, just ahead of the axle.  Shop
recommendation is fine.

The resonator cuts overall exhaust noise.  I think you'd find the car to be
too loud without it.  I left the resonator off my '78 Civic 1200 when I
replaced the exhaust, and it was too buzzy, so I added a resonator.  But,
it's your choice.  Original resonators had smaller-diameter, perforated
pipes surrounded by fiberglass -- the iconic "glass-pack".  (Original
mufflers had just one, cone-shaped, perforated baffle in there middle, so
the whole original exhaust was pretty open.)

I'd go with 1-3/4 inch.  It may be too tight for the frame holes (you should
be able to check this with an inside caliper), but a length of the pipe can
be slightly flattened on the top and bottom.   I put a '69 exhaust system on
my '66 car when I substituted a '69 U20 for the original R16.  I had to
flatten the pipe to keep it from rubbing on the frame.

Gary