[Roadsters] OT - Toyota/Scion FR-S

To: Datsun-Roadsters <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Roadsters] OT - Toyota/Scion FR-S
From: "Hall, Phillip B. (MSFC-ES11)" <phillip.b.hall@nasa.gov>
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2012 20:04:17 -0600
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US engine=2.50.10432:5.9.8185,1.0.431,0.0.0000 definitions=2012-12-09_01:2012-12-07,2012-12-09,1970-01-01 signatures=0
So... Took the Highlander in for a recall to the dealership that a friend is
an owner of. Joe had a new Scion FR-S on the lot and ask if I wanted to take
it for a drive. At first I said no. You see, I have been driving sports cars
(like my 67 Datsun 2000 Solex) for 30 years and newer sports cars just don't
do a lot for me. Driven a bunch of them,,, and this FR-S is an automatic...

So, he asked again.. My daughter and I really like the looks of the car and
the seats are wonderful. Ok - we head out with the car. Joe has me head to the
local hills with lots of corners. I keep the car in manual mode and use the
paddle shifters.

It has a Subaru motor (Boxer) at 200 HP so power was good. It is a very happy
reving motor to 7000 RPM. I found shifting at 6000 was perfect. With the auto
in manual mode and shifting with the paddles was, well, nice. I was expecting
a major lag (like the Tundra) but not so - and hard/fast down shifts coming
fast into corners was flat out fun! It 'blipped' and dropped down a gear, then
back into the throttle - haha.. good times.

Hard in the corners the car just felt right! Pushing to the limit, the rear
end set down and really grabbed. Most new sports cars have a too high of CG in
the rear and lift slightly in corners which gives you that bit of mmmm... With
all of us in the car I did not push over the limit - another day. Usually when
I drive this kind of car, all I can focus on was what it needs - bigger bars -
better tires,,,,but, dang, this thing did it all very well.

I can't believe how much I enjoyed this car! It was a hoot to push through the
corners!! It was so solid/tight and just felt great! More over, it is amazing
that I actually liked the transmission! An automatic sports car is worthless -
except for this one..

Ok - now to convince my wife I really need one of these... ha...

Now  how come Nissan could not have built this....

Thumbs up and high five the crowd!

Phil/SEROC