Re: [Roadsters] sending units, gauges, and multi meters

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] sending units, gauges, and multi meters
From: Graeme Suckling <graemes@internode.on.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 16:34:17 +1030
Hi Oliver,
the Temperature Sender must be grounded properly so use the MM on
resistance to check for that.
If the sender is grounded OK, connect the MM to the centre post of the
sender and start the engine.
The sender is an NTC resistor, Negative Temperature Coefficient, which
means it will read high resistance when the coolant is cold then the
resistance will drop as the coolant warms up.
Another check is to ground the sender wire in the engine bay and with
the key ON the gauge should max out.

The Oil Pressure Sender is also a variable resistor so check what the
resistance is with the engine off, then start it up and the resistance
should change as the pressure builds up. This is for a gauge. If you
just have an oil light then the sender will disconnect the ground signal
after the pressure builds up thus extinguishing the warning lamp

The Fuel Sender is a really simple variable resistor, a float arm moves
a wiper over a coil of wire to vary the current fed to the gauge.
Disconnect the wiring and remove the sender. Connect the MM to the wire
terminal and the metal frame. You can check it by sliding the float arm
up and down the resistor windings.
If the sender is in the tank, check that it is grounded properly, Black
wire, turn the key ON and you should see a voltage on the sender wire,
the value of which will depend on the fuel level and hence the float level.

As for the gauges, they all need power on one side so use the MM on
voltage and check for 12V on the Oil Gauge, whereas the Fuel and Temp.
gauges are fed a reduced voltage from the stabiliser that you mentioned
when the key is ON.
Hope this helps:)

Regards,
Graeme Suckling