Re: [Roadsters] 67 Roadster

To: richard bush <rabush2000@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] 67 Roadster
From: John F Sandhoff <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2011 00:38:44 -0700
On Wed, 6 Jul 2011, richard bush wrote:

> My car has been slow in starting.

Slow as it turns over slowly, or slow as in it takes a lot of cranking
befoire it catches?

> It won't start via the battery... I am able to start the car by jumping
> it down a hill...

As in push starting? Get it rolling and pop the clutch?

> ...the last time i did this, it overheated, a bunch of green stuff
> came out of the radiator and now it won't do anything. No engine turn
> over at all...

Ouch.
My guess: Blown head gasket (leaking cylinder compression pressurized
the cooling system and blew the coolant out) and hydrostatic lock
(cylinders filling with coolant).

Remove the spark plugs and try turning the engine over by hand (with
the plugs out you should be able to do this). I bet you squirt water
out the spark plug holes!

Trying to start it again may result in lots of bad things happening,
including bending a connecting rod. Also, the oil will be a mix
of oil and coolant; pump that thru the engine and... well, you don't
want to do that.

Pull the dipstick. If you have anything more than clean oil, the
head gasket let go (grey gooey sludge, beads of water, foam) and
you've got some work ahead of you...

-- John
     John F Sandhoff sandhoff@csus.edu  Sacramento, CA

datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net