Re: [Roadsters] Charging Question

To: "ljordan704@aol.com" <ljordan704@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Charging Question
From: "Hall, Phillip B. (MSFC-ED10)" <phillip.b.hall@nasa.gov>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 12:47:56 -0500
With the new regulator and new plug it had this miss and now with the GM
unit, it has the same miss.  The GM has an internal regulator.

The stock set up showed 15 amps when changing (and missing) which I would
not think is over charging.  The GM unit is a 100 amp, but have a 40 amp
link inline.

I have had Roadsters over charge in the past and they ran fine, just boiled
the water out of the battery.

This one really has me thinking......

An thanks for the person on 311s that did the color schematics!!  Really
saving my eyes.

On 3/14/11 10:48 AM, "ljordan704@aol.com" <ljordan704@aol.com> wrote:

> Did you clean the VR plug too? It sounds like you were overcharging at one
> point.
>
> Sent from my iPod
>
> On Mar 14, 2011, at 5:27 AM, "Hall, Phillip B. (MSFC-ED10)"
> <phillip.b.hall@nasa.gov> wrote:
>
>> So, on my 67.5 it was not charging very well.  The battery would last a
few
>> days then start to go down hill.  I replaced the regulator and drove it a
few
>> miles.  I picked up my daughter and on the way back the amp gage went to
>> about
>> 15 amps  charging, cool!  As this happened, the Roadster started getting
>> bad miss.  I pulled over thinking something came loose.  Found nothing and
>> eventually unplugged the alternator and it ran great.
>>
>> This weekend I put on a one wire GM alt my son had  a new Powermaster
unit.
>> Same thing......  Plugged in the car has a bad miss, unplugged it runs
great.

>> I have gone through and cleaned the plug from the starter (that powers my
>> ignition), reworked my ground cables (stock locations  battery, block,
>> frame,
>> body), replaced the wire from the reastat to coil which was just holding
on
>> by
>> 2 strands,,,,,,,  Every time I make something better it misses worse.
Now
>> with the alternator plugged in, it misses bad  even back-firing through
the
>> carbs.  Unplugged  runs great.
>>
>> I an going to check the voltage at the coil, but I did not have help and
>> cant
>> keep it running with the alt plugged in.
>>
>> Ideas????
>>
>> Phil
>> SEROC
Datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net