Re: [Roadsters] 2K pressure plate (was: clutch replacement part

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] 2K pressure plate (was: clutch replacement part
From: Ronnie Day <ronnie.day@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 17:35:14 -0600
>> i'm told that upgrading to the 2K clutch plate is a good thing to look
at..

> Just for a complete discussion, there's two minds to using the 2K
> pressure plate. Yes, the 2K version provides stronger clamping forces,
> and if you've tweaked your 1600 engine that extra clamping may help
> prevent clutch slip.
>
> That said, and of course my opinion only, I don't think that a stock
> R engine will exceed the clamping force provided by a 1600 plate.
> Using a 2K plate will not hurt, and it provides an extra margin,
> especially for spirited driving, but beware that the pedal pressure
> required is a good deal higher. So doing the swap may lead to extra
> exercise for your left leg, as the pedal _will_ take more force to engage.
>
> -- John
> B  B  John F Sandhoff B  sandhoff@csus.edu B  Sacramento, CA

You're right, John. The main reason to use 20111 PP on the L-4s in the
510 and trucks was service life. The OEM 510 PP would die after only
30K or so of normal driving. I'm thinking the OEM roadster PP was
stiffer than the 510 part but not nearly so much as the 20111. I'm
wondering if there's not an aftermarket alternative that's not as soft
as the stock units but less stiff than the 20111. I'll dig around and
see what I can find and maybe call Les. If anyone nows, off the top of
their head, he should.

FWIW,
Ron
Datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net