Re: [Roadsters] clutch replacement part list

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] clutch replacement part list
From: Pat Horne <pat@hornesystemstx.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 10:57:59 -0600
Tim,

I'd replace the throwout bearing, even if it doesn't make noise. Check
the springs that hold the throwout bearing in place to see if they are
worn. I'd also replace the pilot bearing in the end of the crankshaft.

Since the trans and engine need to come out to replace the clutch, I'd
check as much stuff as possible before I pull everything out.

The transmission counter shaft bearings in the 4 speed are known to be a
weak link, but I don't know if the 5 speed has the same problem. If they
do, it can be checked by dropping the bottom cover on the trans and
trying to move the cluster gear up, down and sideways. If there is any
movement the bearings and shaft need to be replaced. This repair is not
a job for a novice, but not too time consuming for someone who knows
transmissions. The nut on 5th gear that allows for "5th gear neutral"
also comes to mind. I've never bee into a 5 speed, but you may be able
to see whether it has been welded with the bottom cover off. 2L folks
will have to chime in on this one. If there is a freeze plug on the back
of the engine block it should also be replaced.

Basically, anything that doesn't cost much to do that is not possible to
do with the drive train in the vehicle is a good candidate for
replacement, or at least inspection while it is out of the vehicle.

By doing as much checking as possible before pulling the drive train you
will have more time to find parts and get them on hand before you do
pull it.

Good luck.

Peace,
Pat

Thusly spake Tim, On 12/18/2010 10:37 AM:

--
Pat Horne, Owner, Horne Systems
(512) 797-7501 Voice            5026 FM 2001