Re: [Roadsters] question regarding protecting paint from soft top

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] question regarding protecting paint from soft top
From: Ronnie Day <ronnie.day@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 09:28:57 -0600
> Gary Tew

> David, I bought a roll of clear 3M protective film. B I think I bought it
from
> Eastwood's. B I'm using it on the back area where the hold down bar is, the
> door edges and the hood. B It's been on the car for over 2 years and still
> looks great.

Good idea, Gary. I'd suggest laying down a good coat of wax before
applying the film. That's contrary to normal practice, but it'll make
ie easier to remove it if you need to. Just use a hair dryer or a heat
gun (very carefully) to heat the film and soften the adhesive.

On our original 2000, bought new in '70, I had the dealer swap a hard
top for the soft top, but they had to order the model I wanted and
installed a used one temporarily. There was a trucking strike which
delayed delivery for a couple of months. When the new top finally
arrived and the dealer removed the loaner there was a pretty health
trough worn through the paint and into the metal where the foam gasket
had rubbed, I guess with dirt and grit acting like sand paper. They
fixed the paint and I went with the soft top which didn't rub nearly
as much.

Ron

http://www.team.net/archive