Re: [Roadsters] 1970 Schematic

To: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>, "peter harrison"
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] 1970 Schematic
From: "Gary and Cindy Ault" <aultgc@att.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 21:10:38 -0600
The valve on the line to the intake manifold was called an "anti-backfire"
valve.  I don't recall any electrical control for this valve.  Rather,
high-vacuum conditions -- which occurred when the throttle was closed at
speed, -- would cause the valve to open, diluting the incoming mixture to
avoid an over-rich condition in the exhaust, which could literally blow the
muffler apart.

It was 1972 when I removed the emission control (Nissan Air Injection
System) from my 1969 U20 before I put it into my 1966 1600.  I do not recall
any electrical connections on the anti-backfire valve.  I also do not recall
any other "bypass" valve in the system, but mine was vintage 1969, and the
'70s may have had a different design.  I still have the complete 1969 NAIS
system -- been in a box since 1972.

Gary