Re: [Roadsters] Bad Bearing Noise from Left-Rear Wheel

To: Gary Callahan <gcallahan@prodigy.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Bad Bearing Noise from Left-Rear Wheel
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 17:13:17 -0700
> I've got a bad bearing noise coming from my left-rear wheel area.
> Anyone have any idea how difficult this might be to fix and if the
> bearing is available through normal auto parts stores?

The bearing is held on via a sleeve that is pressed onto the shaft.
Somewhere around 15 ton press is required, as I recall (it might
be higher, I'm away from my manuals). Some people advocate
CAREFULLY deeply notching the sleeve with a grinding wheel
and then using a cold-chisel to split it off (do not do not DO NOT
nick the axle!) as you get a limited number of presses before the
sleeve isn't 'tight enough' on the shaft and the axle becomes a
throwaway. Less likely to damage things by pressing it off...

The bearing is a unique size that you likely won't find anywhere
but on a vendor's shelf. Last I knew about a C note per side for
the parts, plus shop time of course.

-- John