[Roadsters] Steering gear lube...

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: [Roadsters] Steering gear lube...
From: Toby B <RacerY@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2009 10:01:12 -0700
Yeah, actually-
GM used to supply a tube of 'steering gear lubricant' for use in their
older trucks-
it was actually a very heavy high- pressure oil that would do exactly
as you describe.
It 'flowed' enough so that it would re- coat the surfaces of the worm
after you turned the
wheel, but not so much that it could make it out of the bottom seal.
Worked great- I used it in several cars with great results.
Sadly, I haven't been able to find it for years...

As long as whatever you put in there is high pressure (or extreme pressure, etc)
and isn't so thick that it can't flow under normal conditions, it's a
whole bunch
better than letting it run dry.  Modern lubes are light- years better
than what Nissan
had when they designed the box...

Toby
Seattle