Re: [Roadsters] light grease to replace oil in gearbox?

To: "Shant Saroukhanian" <shant@techrg.com>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] light grease to replace oil in gearbox?
From: "Gary and Cindy Ault" <aultgc@att.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 21:12:18 -0500
Shant,

I bought a used Type A box on eBay several months ago, and discovered that
it was filed with lithium moly grease instead of gear oil.  I was told that
this had probably been done because the lower seal was leaking, and the car
owner did not care to pull the box to replace the seal.  Since I was
replacing the original box with the used counterpart, I cleaned out the
grease, replaced the seal, and filled the box with 90 weight gear oil.  It
does not leak.

In my opinion, since grease doesn't flow like oil, grease will not maintain
as good a film of lubricant between the worm gear and roller peg, but I
really don't know.  What I do know is Nissan designed the box for gear oil,
and I trust they probably had a pretty good reason.

Gary