Re: [Roadsters] cal speedway update

To: Datsun-Roadsters Mail List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] cal speedway update
From: Eric <egustavson@bigpond.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2009 18:04:47 +1000
Hey Steven,
thanks for the great posting, and the fun factor level report. 'through
the roof!' is pretty high in anyone's book, though perhaps more likely
when driving a Datsun roadster...

best wishes,
Eric in Townsville

steven boortz wrote:
> hi everyone
> i took my roadster to california speedway (sorry, i still call it that,
along with "sears point"), and i wanted to share some things with you.

> the good:  1.  ron carter showed up to hang out for a little while, and
share some of his experience.  thanks again ron.  2.  i broke my personal best
time by about 9 seconds with a 2:11.246, in the relative cool of sunday
morning.  i attribute most of the improvement to now running R compound tires
(R888s) where before i was running street tires (azenis).  the grip in the
corners and especially under braking is amazing, compared to before.  i feel
like a soccer player who suddenly got cleats.
> 3.  i didn't break the car.
>
> the bad:  1. my front lug nuts won't stay tight through a full stint (8 - 10
laps).  i bought new rims for the R888s (205 50 15 on 15 x 7, 0-offest konig
rewinds), and torque them to 80+ lbs before heading out.  each time on return
some of the nuts are half that.  some are looser.... can i use loc-tite on my
lug nuts?  should i? 2.  my front volvo calipers stick, always slightly
against the rotor, sometimes so much so that i can't turn the wheel by hand.
i open them up before i go out, and come back and they're stuck again.  i'm
running hawk blue pads, and Castrol GT-LMA.  when they stick, they heat up so
fast, that i lost my pedal early in some stints.  pumping brings the pedal
back, and if i start pumping early, i can still drive somewhat effectively.
but it's not the hot setup.  hehe.  ok it is.  4.  oil pressure guage reads
around 40 at idle, over 50 when running 45 mph to the gas station, and about
30 or so on the track, at speed.  i have the
>  stock guage, but a fairly new one.  i run mobil 1 in the 7 qt alum pan (i
forget the wt offhand), with competition baffle, and U20 oil pump (in my
H20).

> the ugly.  thankfully, nothing i can think of.  i'm really happy about the
new PB, and how much fun i had pushing this little car around the track.  i
pushed it hard, and it did great.